Am I in a Special Flood Hazard Area?

For the purposes of the City of Valdez, a Special Flood Hazard Area is equivalent to a Zone A, AE, or VE on our Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) The City of Valdez will assist citizens in looking up where the property is in relationship to a mapped floodplain. Office hours are 8:30-12:00 and 1:00 – 5:00 pm at City Hall in the Planning Department. Residents of the City may email the Planning Department ( at any time with their property address to determine whether or not the property is in a Flood Hazard area. Residents can also visit the FEMA Map Service Center and type their physical address into a FEMA mapping system, which will pull up the correct panel of the FIRM for where the property is located (but a resident will have to find their approximate location on the map themselves). There are also professional mapping organizations that will examine the FIRM maps and declare a property in and out of the floodplain (these companies are often used by banks when financing mortgages and transferring property).

Show All Answers

1. Am I in a Special Flood Hazard Area?
2. Why do I need Flood Insurance?
3. What kind of Information can I get from the City?
4. What can I do to reduce my risk of flood damages?