The 2023 Energy Assistance Program is now open, and Valdez residents are encouraged to apply!
The City Council has expressed ongoing support for the Energy Assistance Program, funded through annual appropriations, typically finalized in late December 2022. This program provides a $550 energy credit per household or locally-owned business to help alleviate energy costs this winter.
Program Opens: November 1, 2022
Program Deadline: December 30, 2022, at 7 p.m.
City Hall will have extended hours until 7 p.m. on December 8th and the 30th.
Program participants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Permanent resident of Valdez, or
- Business owner whose residence AND business are located within the Valdez City limits.
Program Participation Requirements:
- Utility credit is limited to one per residential or commercial property.
- Resident utility credit is allowed for a single primary residence only.
- An active electric or fuel oil account must be associated with the property AND registered in the name of the residential or business participant.
- Business/Commercial participants must submit a current City Business Registration with their application.
- Resident verification is required for ALL individuals or businesses applying for the program.
The following documentation must be presented to verify residency:
- Photo identification
- A copy of an electric or fuel bill received in the last four months that includes:
- applicant's name or business name
- applicant's physical address
- applicant's utility bill number
- utility bill location and applicant's physical address on the application must match
New for 2023: Online application process! Visit https://bit.ly/3T1GlyU to complete the online application process.
Applications are also available on the City's website at https://www.valdezak.gov/EnergyAssistanceProgram or can be picked up at City Hall https://www.valdezak.gov/EnergyAssistanceProgram or can be picked up at City Hall located at 212 Chenega Avenue.
Program Documentation Submittal:
- Deliver in-person to City Hall at 212 Chenega Avenue, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., by the December 30th deadline.
- Drop into the City Hall drop box before 7 p.m. on December 30th. The drop box is accessible 24/7.
- By Mail. Mail the application and required documentation to City Hall PO Box 307 Valdez AK 99686. Must be received by December 30th. Postmarks are not accepted.
- Applications submitted by mail or the drop box must be notarized.
The $550 energy credit will be paid directly to the resident's utility provider.
For Questions or assistance with the Energy Assistance Program: Please call City Hall at 907.835.4313.