Education Advancement Scholarship
“Moving minds and lives further down a path to success.”
PURPOSE OF AWARD
The Valdez Police Department enjoys an extraordinary relationship with Valdez City Schools. This relationship is evidenced by a tangible extension of the department’s mission: to provide excellent service and protection through leadership and partnership with the community. To this end, the police department offers continued support to qualifying high school graduates in Valdez through financial assistance for those graduates seeking higher learning opportunities. The department is pleased that you have committed to graduating high school and that you dare to pursue your goals with the assistance of an institution of higher education. You have the department’s support and admiration. Thank you for applying for this scholarship.
- The scholarship is (1) $1,500 award for tuition and/or housing costs.
- Disbursements will be allocated directly to the recipient’s school or housing authority.
- Award winners must provide proof of enrollment in a college, university, or trade school before September 20 of the award year.
METHOD OF SELECTION
- The VPD Scholarship Committee will review all entries.
- The winner will be chosen based on adherence to and performance in the scholarship criteria below.
CRITERIA FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS
- The applicant must be a graduating high school senior enrolled in Valdez City Schools or a home school program in the city limits of Valdez during the current Valdez City Schools calendar year.
- The applicant must be of good character. For this scholarship, the definition of “good character” is personal conduct in keeping with the core values of the Valdez Police Department:
INTEGRITY, RESPECT, PROFESSIONALISM, and VALOR
- The applicant must include one letter of recommendation from a Valdez School District educator/administrator, coach, religious leader, employer, or a reputable mentor (not a relative).
- A current high school transcript (grades 9-12) must be submitted with the application. For transfer students, a copy of your high school transcript(s) must be included from the previous high schools you attended. A minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 (unweighted) is required of all applicants.
- The applicant must possess an acceptance letter to an accredited college, university, or trade school before award disbursements.
- The applicant must complete and sign the application; a parent’s signature is required if the applicant is under 18.
- All required items described herein must be submitted at the same time before the entry deadline in the following order with the application checklist attached to the outsideof a sealed envelope:
- signed application filled out electronically (pages 1-6),
- recommendation letter,
- high school transcript(s),
- copy of the acceptance letter and
- essay. No partial application submissions will be accepted.
- All application criteria must be complete and true, or the application will be rejected.
- The essay must be:
- in Times New Roman, size 12 font
- and at least 500 words, but no more than 1200. The essay MUST BE YOUR WORK and describe/address the following topics and questions in a continuous and fluid essay format:
- What is your intended institution of higher education, why did you choose it, and what are you looking forward to the most about that institution?
- Your career path and how this institution/program will help you accomplish your life goals.
- Other than potentially this scholarship, how has the Valdez Police Department helped you to become a successful young adult? Cite specific examples if possible.
- How can the Valdez police department do a better job of helping students be successful?
- Students who are children or dependents of Valdez Police Department employees or children of dependents of active members of this scholarship’s review committee are not eligible to apply.
- The entry deadline for completed scholarship packets is on or before May 1, 2024, by 5 p.m.
Download the 2024 Education Advancement Scholarship Application and the Scholarship Checklist to apply!
The applicant must hand-deliver all required documents described herein in a sealed envelope that does not require folding the enclosed contents to the police department before the deadline. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Use the application check-off sheet when submitting your application to indicate all required documents are included. Attach the checklist to the outside of the sealed envelope.
The Valdez Police Department is located at 212 Chenega Avenue. Contact the on-duty dispatcher by picking up the police phone in the lobby and notifying them you wish to turn in your scholarship application packet.