LUNA - Local Utility iNflation Assistance Program
The Valdez City Council has authorized a onetime Local Utility iNflation Assistance (LUNA) Program, which offers an energy credit of $550 per household or locally owned business.
LUNA program participants must be a:
- Permanent resident of Valdez, or
- Business owner whose residence AND business are located within the Valdez city limits
LUNA Program Participation Requirements
Individuals or Businesses Who Received the 2022 Energy Assistance Credit must:
- Complete a W-9 form and submit it to City Hall by the required deadlines
- No application necessary
The LUNA Program payment of $550 will be sent directly to the same energy provider that received your 2022 Energy Assistance Credit in February.
Individuals or Businesses Who Did Not Receive the 2022 Energy Assistance Credit must:
- Complete the LUNA Program application
- Complete a W-9 form
Verification of residency is required for new individuals or businesses applying for the program. The following documentation must be presented in order to verify residency:
- Photo Identification
- A copy of an electric or fuel bill received in the last 4 months that includes:
- your name or business name
- physical address
- utility bill account number
- utility bill location & physical address on application must match
- For current commercial applicants, a current copy of your City business license
Requirements for All New Participants
- Utility credit is limited to one per property, either residential or commercial
- Residential utility credit is allowed for a single primary residence only
- There must be an active electric or fuel oil account associated with the property AND registered in the name of the residential or business participant
Requirements for Business/Commercial Participants
- Only one utility credit will be applied per business registration and per location
- The business owner must be a permanent resident of Valdez
Should you have questions, please email luna@ValdezAK.Gov or call 907-835-4313.
The LUNA Program opens June 1, 2022 and closes June 30, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Application opens June 1, 2022 and must be completed at City Hall (212 Chenega Ave) between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
City Hall will have extended hours on June 9th and June 30th from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
The deadline to submit W-9 forms and/or LUNA Program applications is June 30, 2022 at 7:00pm. LUNA Program documentation received after this date and time will not be accepted.
LUNA Program documentation can be submitted by the following methods:
- Delivered in-person to City Hall (212 Chenega Avenue), Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (June 9th and 30th City Hall will be open until 7:00 p.m.) by June 30.
- Dropped into the City Hall drop box before 7pm on June 30 – accessible 24/7.
- By mail. New participants are required to submit a notarized LUNA application form with backup documentation. Mail application and required notarized documentation to City Hall PO Box 307 Valdez, AK 99686. Must be received by June 30. Postmarks not accepted.
- Documentation cannot be received electronically, as it contains sensitive information.
Payments to Utility Service Providers
- Payments should be submitted to providers by July 31.
- You should see the credit applied to your utility billing statement by September.
2022 LUNA Application
Sample IRS Form