Winter Trails & Grooming
Parks Maintenance maintains and grooms approximately 33 miles of winter trails as conditions allow. Trail routes may change with snow depths and open water on an annual basis.
Winter Trail System
|Mineral Creek Trails||Downtown Trails||Out-of-Town Trails|
*Meyring Park grooming takes place after street plowing and snow blowing is complete.
Parks Maintenance grooms trails Monday through Saturday; with holidays groomed based on staff availability. The grooming schedule is subject to change due to weather conditions and available equipment, including:
|Monday||Mineral Creek Trails, Elementary School Sledding Hill, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Tuesday||Mineral Creek Trails, water crossing bridge building as needed, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Wednesday||Mineral Creek Trails, Elementary School Playground, PE/School class prep as needed|
|Thursday||Out-of-Town Trails, Competition prep as needed, Meyring Park, Dock Point, Meals Hill &, Mineral Creek Trails.|
|Friday||Ski Hill, Mineral Creek Trails, PE/school class and Competition prep as needed|
|Saturday||Ski Hill as needed, Mineral Creek Trails|
*Grooming all Out-of-Town trails ends on March 31 and all grooming operations end April 15 each year.
Winter Trails Etiquette
For the safety and enjoyment of all trail users, please abide by the following rules and guidelines:
- Follow all posted signs and be respectful of other trails users.
- Be an ambassador for your sport.
- Always leash and pick-up after your dog(s).
- Respect ski-only trail designations. Please no snowmachines, wheels, feet or paws.
- Do not walk, run, ride or skate ski in the classic tracks.
- Move to the side of the trail for passing skiers or if you fall.
- Trails may be multi-directional or one-way; know before you go and be aware of oncoming trail users.
- Motorized vehicles must yield to non-motorized trails users; skiers have the right-of-way in all situations.
- The speed limit for all multi-use trails is 20 mph.
Persons who violate or fail to comply with these rules are subject to a fine up to $300, which may result in the impoundment of the vehicle/equipment used in the violation and may result in a loss of privileges to use the trail system, per Valdez Municipal Code 12.08.010.
Ski for Free
Did you know getting out on the winter trails in Valdez is a breeze? With the Ski for Free program, you can rent the equipment that you and your family need to get outside to play this winter! This program is 100% FREE, and is operated and sponsored by Prince William Sound College Health & Fitness Center and the Sound Wellness Alliance Network.
Winter Trails Guide
Questions or Concerns?
Please contact the PRCS Administration office at 907-835-2531, Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm, for any questions or concerns.