- Emergency and Disaster Management
- Annual Community Flu Shot POD Clinic
Annual Community Flu Shot POD Clinic
This Season a Flu Vaccine is More Important than Ever!
Getting a flu vaccine is important to protect yourself, your family, and our community. A flu vaccine this season can also help reduce the burden on our healthcare systems responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and save medical resources for care of COVID-19 and other patients. September and October are the best times to get a flu vaccine.
Valdez Community Annual Free Flu Shot Clinic
A partnership of local Valdez agencies teams up every fall to offer a free flu shot clinic to Valdez residents.
Goals of the Flu Shot Clinic:
- Assist residents with free flu immunizations to protect their health and the health of the community.
- Ongoing practice for administering vaccines to large numbers of people during a public health emergency. The clinic changes slightly every year for this reason. Different options and configurations are practiced to help us learn what works well and what doesn't. Changes may include different locations, indoors vs drive thru, one large event vs. multiple smaller events, different days of the week, different times of day, requirements for appointments vs. drop-in, etc.
What is a POD?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, PODs are community locations at which state and local agencies dispense and administer medical countermeasures (MCMs) to the public. MCMs such as vaccines, antiviral drugs, antibiotics, antitoxins, and chemical antidotes are used to effectively prevent, mitigate, or treat adverse health effects of an intentional, accidental, or naturally occurring public health emergency.
You will hear the community flu shot clinic referred to as a "point of dispensing" clinic or a POD.
- An open POD is usually a larger event open to the general public.
- A closed POD is a smaller focused event just for a specific population - such as the employees of one specific organization or elders at the Senior Center. Closed PODs are scheduled in advance and not open to the general public.
Which Agencies are Involved in the Clinic?
DHSS Valdez Public Health Nursing, City of Valdez, Providence Valdez Medical Center, Valdez Fire Department, Prince William Sound College, Valdez City Schools, Valdez Medical Clinic LLC, The Alfa Doc, and many more!
2022 POD Clinic Vaccination Options
Multiple options for vaccinations are available.
Friday, October 14, 2022
What: Free COVID Booster and Flu Shot POD Clinic - By Appointment Only - Call Valdez Public Health at 907.835.4612
When: 4:30 - 8 p.m.
Where: Valdez High School
Who: Updated COVID-19 Pfizer Booster is available for anyone 12 years of age and older. The Flu Shot is available for those 6 months of age and older. High dose flu vaccine is available for individuals 65 years of age and older.
Notes: Face Masks Required. All vaccinations available while supplies last.
Monday, October 17, 2022
What: Free Flu Shot POD Clinic - Drive Thru Only
When: 5 - 7:30 p.m.
Where: On the West Pioneer side (bus drop off) of Hermon Hutchens Elementary School (see map below)
Who: The Flu Shot is available for those 12 years of age and older. High dose flu vaccine is available for individuals 65 years of age and older.
Notes: Face Masks Required. All vaccinations available while supplies last. Appointments are NOT required.
Closed PODs - By Appointment Only
If you are an organization who serves a vulnerable population, are a major local employer, or are an individual who is home-bound, please call the Valdez Public Health Clinic to discuss if a closed POD may be the right option for you.
None of the Above Work for You?
Contact your local healthcare provider, Valdez Safeway Pharmacy, or the Valdez Public Health Clinic for guidance regarding alternate options to receive a COVID-19 booster or flu vaccination. (Please note, these alternate options my not be free.)
Important COVID-19 Safety Note
To help mitigate risk from COVID-19, masks are required for participants and volunteers during each of the POD options listed above. if you are unable or unwilling to wear a mask, please contact the Valdez Public Health Clinic or your local medical provider for alternate options to receive a COVID-19 booster or flu vaccination.
2022 COVID-19 Booster and Flu Shot POD Clinic Registration Packet
Registration Packet available for download: /DocumentCenter/View/10895 - Save time waiting in line! Download a Registration Packet to fill out in advance, bring it with you to the POD of your choice, and skip the wait at the registration station.
Paper registration packets will also be available for advance pick-up at the Valdez Public Health Office.
Volunteers of all Skill Levels Needed!
The following volunteers are needed to help with the October flu shot clinics:
- Nurses, EMTs, paramedics, and others who are qualified and licensed to administer vaccinations.
- Physicians to assist with triage, answer questions, and help treat patients if needed.
- Registration personnel, who help patients complete registration paperwork, collect completed paperwork, and check out of the clinic once they are finished.
- General logistics, which includes people to help set-up/pack-up the clinic location, people to help direct patients through the clinic stations, assistants for each station, and runners to help move supplies between stations.
- Photographer, who will take photos during each event following established photo release guidelines.
If you are interested in being a volunteer at one or all of the upcoming clinics, please reach out to volunteer coordinator, Rhea Cragun at email@example.com or 907.834.3416.
Do you have general questions about the Valdez community flu shot clinic? Contact the Communications Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 907.834.3400.
Do you have medical or vaccination specific questions? Please contact the Valdez Public Health Clinic (email@example.com or 907.835.4612) or your local healthcare provider for assistance.