Programs & Services
SUMMER READING 2020
Summer Reading is here! It looks a little different this year, but we are excited to share online reading challenges, virtual programs, and fun prizes with you. This year’s theme is “Dig Deeper” so we will be focusing on exploring, creating, and of course, having fun!
HOW TO SIGN UP!
This year, you will be able to track your reading progress online via Beanstack or the Beanstack app! Register, log your reading hours, and participate in optional additional challenges to earn virtual badges! Once you have completed 10 hours of reading over the course of the summer (that’s just 10 minutes per day!), you will be contacted by library staff on how to pick up your prize! The summer reading program runs from June 1-August 1, 2020. Prizes will be awarded at the completion of the program.
Prefer to go screen-free? Contact the library for a paper log!
BEANSTACK REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Go to the Alaska Challenges website.
- Click on Register an Individual or Family.
- Select I am registering myself OR I am an adult registering a child. (If you are registering your entire family, you will be able to add multiple people once you have created the initial account.)
- Fill in all required fields: First and Last Name, Password, Library, and Age. (A username or email address is required in order to sign-in.)
- Click Next. You will only see challenges that are available for your age group. If there is only one challenge available, you will automatically be enrolled in that program. Children have the option to read for 10 hours OR read 10 books. Teens and adults can register to read for 10 hours only.
- If you need to add another adult or child, click yes. If not, you’re all set up!
PROGRAMS FOR KIDS & FAMILIES
- DIG (Discover, Investigate, Grow) Challenges: Visit our Facebook page or website each Monday for fun science and nature videos and activities to exercise your brain!
- Lego My Library: Visit our Facebook page or website each Wednesday for Lego challenges and activities!
- Storytime @ Home: Join us on Facebook Live every Friday at 11:15 for stories, songs, and rhymes!
Be sure to check this site and our Facebook page throughout the summer for up-to-date information on virtual programs and activities.
Prefer to go screen-free? Call the library for a schedule or check the front entrance of the library for weekly postings!
PROGRAMS FOR TWEENS & TEENS
Check out our Facebook page or website each Thursday for virtual programs and activities just for tweens & teens (ages 11-18)! We’ll be doing virtual trivia, escape rooms, and craft kits that you can pick up and do at home. Stay tuned for more info! Have a program idea? Contact Molly Walker at 835-4632 or via email Molly to see if we can make it happen!
Tentative Teen Schedule
- June 4: Virtual Harry Potter Trivia
- June 18: Cookies & Canvas @ Home (Sign-up required!)
- July 2: Virtual Pokemon Trivia
- July 16: Virtual Escape Room
- July 30: Virtual Marvel Trivia
The following items are available in the Valdez Library collection:
- Audiovisual equipment
- Books on CDs
- Children’s section
- Fiction section
- Large print books
- McNaughton bestsellers
- Music CDs
- Non-fiction section
- Reference section
- Young adult Section
The following services are available at the Valdez Library:
- Audiovisual room
- AWE Early Literacy Station & Tablets
- Book Exchange
- Conference room
- Internet Access Workstations
- Library Catalog
- Exam Proctoring
- Interlibrary Loan
- Listen Alaska
- Laptops & iPads
- Microfilm & Microfiche Reader
- Music listening room
- Reader for the visually impaired
- Printing / Mobile Printing
- Tax forms
- Video Conferencing
- Wireless Internet
- Study Rooms
Join the library in one of the programs offered, and check the calendar for other programs throughout the year.
- Book Basket Auction
- STEM Programs
- Story Times
- Summer Reading Program