Last Updated 12/21/22
Upcoming Municipal Elections for 2023
Special Municipal Election - Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Regular Municipal Election - Tuesday, May 2, 2023
More information relating to these elections will be posted as it becomes available.
For general information about city elections contact Katie Carr at 907-834-3501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Notice of Special Election Given
NOTICE OF SPECIAL ELECTION
OF THE CITY OF VALDEZ
February 7, 2023
Notice is hereby given that pursuant to applicable law and ordinances (or Code of Laws of the City of Valdez) a Special Election will be held on Tuesday, February 7, 2023, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. to vote on the following Proposition:
PROPOSITION NO. 1
Shall the following amendment be made to Chapter 3.12, Section 3.12.040 of the Valdez Municipal Code to increase the residential property tax exemption from fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) to seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000) of the assessed value or the maximum allowed under state law, whichever is greater?
Chapter 3.12 Section 3.12.040 Additional exemptions
Thirty percent of the assessed value, up to a maximum of fifty Seventy-five thousand dollars of the assessed value or the maximum allowed under state law, whichever is greater, of a principal residence owned and occupied by the taxpayer is exempt from taxation. The City Council may by ordinance annually adjust the exemption set forth herein by the amount calculated by the State Assessor to reflect the increase, if any, in the annual average cost of living, using the U.S. Department of Labor CPI-U for Anchorage. Property tax exemptions shall be governed by AS 29.45.050, as of January 1, 2016 or as may be hereafter amended.
PRECINCTS, POLLING PLACES
The City consists of three election precincts for all regular and special City elections. The boundaries of these precincts are as follows:
- Precinct #1: that portion of the City of Valdez which lies west of Hazelet Avenue.
- Precinct #2: that portion of the City of Valdez which lies between Hazelet Avenue and a north/south line drawn through the point where Crooked Creek crosses the Richardson Highway (Salmon Turnaround).
- Precinct #3: that portion of the City of Valdez which lies east of a north/south line drawn through the point where Crooked Creek crosses the Richardson Highway (Salmon Turnaround).
The polling places for these precincts shall be as follows:
- Precinct #1: Recreation Center (Teen Center) - 414 W Hanagita Street
- Precinct #2: City Council Chambers - 212 Chenega Avenue
- Precinct #3: Robe River Subdivision Fire Station - 114 River Drive
A PERSON IS QUALIFIED TO VOTE WHO
- Is a United States Citizen;
- Is 18 years or older;
- Has been a resident of the State of Alaska and the City of Valdez for 30 days immediately preceding the election;
- Is registered 30 days prior to the election as required under Alaska Statutes 15.07 and is not registered to vote in another jurisdiction;
- Is not disqualified under Article V of the State Constitution
Sheri L. Pierce, MMC, City Clerk- Posted 12/21/22
Absentee Voting Options
Valdez February 7, 2023 Special Municipal Election
There are four ways which you may cast an absentee ballot for the City of Valdez Special Municipal Election to be held February 7, 2023.
IN PERSON AT CITY HALL
A qualified elector may vote before the City Clerk at the front office of City Hall beginning Monday, January 23, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on regular business days.
The last day to vote before the City Clerk will be Monday, February 6, 2023, prior to 5:00 p.m.
(voting by email or fax - follow above link for application)
A qualified elector may apply to vote by electronic transmission (either email or fax). Please contact the City Clerk’s Office or specific instructions regarding absentee voting by electronic transmission.
Voting by email or fax is conducted by the City Clerk’s office during regular business hours beginning Monday, January 23, 2023 through the close of polls on election day.
(follow above link for application)
A qualified elector unable to go to the polls due to age, serious illness, or disability may either request an absentee ballot by mail/electronic transmission or apply for an absentee ballot through a personal representative.
This option is available Monday, January 23, 2023 through the close of polls on election day. The form to request absentee voting by personal representative is available from the City Clerk’s office.
(follow above link for application)
The request for an absentee ballot by mail must be made on a City of Valdez provided form, which includes your Valdez address, the address to which the ballot is to be sent, and your signature.
It is advisable to apply for your absentee by mail ballot at least 4 weeks prior to the election to ensure the voted ballot reaches the City Clerk’s office before February 7, 2023.